Everything is better with bacon! If you're on board with the Keto or Paleo movement, this recipe is the real deal! Most porridge recipes use oats or quinoa as the base, which are great if they are in your diet range. However, this version uses cauliflower rice as the base to make a grain-free Keto or Paleo version.
In this recipe, the cauliflower rice is cooked with our Organic Chicken Bone Broth and finished with organic almond milk. The result is a delicious and super nutritious, dairy-free and grain-free, porridge with a creamy consistency. Then, just add in the sautéed mushrooms, onions, spinach, bacon, and top with an egg to finish the dish!
Love is The Ultimate Spice!
|1 tbsp coconut oil, ghee, or tallow||1 large head cauliflower|
|1 cup The Flavor Chef Organic Bone Broth(Chicken or Beef)||sea salt, to taste|
|1 tsp turmeric (optional)||nutritional yeast flakes|
|12 oz package of bacon, cut lardons (½" strips)||1 onion, small dice|
|4 cloves garlic, minced||8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced|
|2 oz fresh spinach leaves, cleaned||fresh parsley or cilantro, minced (for garnish)|
|fresh almond milk (optional)|
To Make Cauliflower Rice:
- Cut the cauliflower into large pieces: Cut the head of cauliflower into quarters, then trim out the inner core from each quarter. Break apart the cauliflower into large florets with your hands. If the core is tender, you can chip it into pieces and add it with the florets.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor: Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Don't fill the food processor more than 3/4 full. If necessary, process in two batches.
- Pulse the cauliflower until completely broken down: Process the cauliflower in one second pulses until it has completely broken down into couscous-sized granules. (Alternatively, grate the florets on the large holes of a box grater).
- Pull out any unprocessed pieces: Some florets or large pieces of cauliflower might remain intact. Pull these out and set them aside. Transfer the cauliflower couscous to another container and reprocess any large pieces.
- Cook cauliflower couscous: Warm a tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the cauliflower rice and sprinkle with a little salt. Add The Flavor Chef Organic Bone Broth. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the cauliflower is as tender as you like.
- Add the turmeric and nutritional yeast flakes
- Reserve for bacon and veggies
To Make Bacon and Vegetables:
In a separate skillet, add the bacon strips (called lardons) and cook until the bacon is sufficiently rendered and getting crispy. Drain off most of the fat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until sweating and translucent, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add in the spinach leaves, remove from the heat and allow the spinach to wilt.
Now, combine with the cauliflower rice. Place a portion in each bowl. Add almond milk for a creamier porridge consistency and top with a sunny side up egg (or egg style of preference) and finish with fresh herbs and more nutritional yeast flakes, if desired.